1. I have a really long commute. The traffic in Los Angeles is the pits. It takes me about an hour to drive to my job. Because I leave work early to pick up my daughter, the commute after work only takes between 20-30 minutes most days. Still, that's a lot of time on the road driving to put in between 4-5 hours of work. Luckily, I can work from home about half of the time, which is awesome!
2. I have no "me" time anymore. Most days, I eat lunch at my computer. After work, I have to get my daughter from school, then take her to her various activities. Some days, we don't get home until 6:30 at night when I have to make her dinner, then make my husband and my dinner. By the end of the day I'm exhausted!
3. I often feel that I'm letting everyone down. There are times when I know work can use me to put in more time to either meet a deadline or take on more work. It can be really hard leaving and not having any time to work on projects while I chauffeur my daughter around. Also, I have less time to do household chores for my husband. I don't have as much time to run errands or energy to cook a halfway decent meal on some evenings.
4. Because of number 3, when my husband starts a sentence with, "When you have a chance today can you...." I just want to scream. Sometimes I do.
5. My blog has suffered. I just don't have the time or energy to give it the attention it deserves. I think this has shown. Some days, I feel it's time to give it up. But the truth is, I love writing! I really enjoy blogging, and I intend to keep it up. I might post less often, however.
So, why do I choose to work part-time then? Check out yesterday's post, and you'll see why! I absolutely love working. I really missed being in the workforce--more so than I realized!